I detest using gelatine which it why I wanted to share with you this tasty, gelatine-free recipe for lemon posset. Including the crumb, this uses only 4 ingredients which makes it easy AND cost-effective.
As a variation, I’ve made the posset with lavender shortbread biscuits on the side, instead of the ginger biscuit crumb, which works just as well. Whichever variation you use, having a biscuit element is really important so the crunch contrasts with the posset.
Serves 2 (over a weekend)
600ml double cream
160g caster sugar
6 ginger biscuits
- Heat the cream and sugar together in a saucepan over a medium heat right up before it looks like its boiling, then reduce to a low heat. Keep an eye on it while stirring for another 4 minutes
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool
- Meanwhile, zest and juice the lemons.
- Once the cream mix has cooled, pass through a sieve into a large pouring or measuring jug (something that has a pouring lip thing)
- Add the lemon juice and zest and mix before pouring equally into 4 serving dishes (or cocktail glasses for extra sophistication)
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours
- When you’re ready to serve, crumble up the biscuits into a crumb and sprinkle over the top. Enjoy!
- Not sure when the cream is just about to boil? The surface will begin to form a crema, a tiny microbubble layer. As soon as you see this, reduce the heat
- Leave a little lemon zest to one side before adding to the cream and sugar mix. This little pinch can be added on top of the posset just before serving for decoration.